HTML5 Security, the Book

HTML5 Security, the Book

I thought I had my first Mac computer virus a couple of years ago. It turns out the vicious hacker was a baby blue stuffed manatee in another room. It was pressing down on a wireless keyboard I had stopped using weeks earlier. It took me longer than it should have to figure out. Very embarrassing! Wouldn’t it be nice if all computer problems were human error? Unfortunately, this is not the case. Malicious attackers are probably reading this right now as they try to find out more information on how to exploit HTML5. The next Dr. Evil is out there and this time it won’t be “sharks with lasers.”

The eBook HTML5 Security is pretty self-explanatory and a must read for all serious developers especially since it’s priced under $5. It is by a German author, Carsten Eilers who is a freelance consultant and coach on IT security and technical data protection. I had the opportunity to download a free copy of HTML5 Security for this post. I like how Carsten handles the basics. He believes the first question you should ask yourself when pondering how to repel attacks should always be “What are the goals of the attacker?”. The book covers XSS Javascript, communication in HTML5, local storage options, Clickjacking, and more. There are also diagrams, code examples, and screenshots throughout the book to help explain the points Carsten is making.

I am giving away 5 free copies of HTML5 Security. I will email voucher codes to the first 5 commenters of this blog post. The codes can be redeemed using iBooks/iTunes. I want to thank Developer Press, a new one-stop-shop digital book store from S & S Media for providing the free copies. You can learn more about this HTML5 book on their website.

15 Responses to “HTML5 Security, the Book”

1. Andrew Gutuev December 14, 2012 at 8:07 pm Permalink

Am i first one?

• Stan Byme December 14, 2012 at 8:42 pm Permalink

Yes, you are the first, not the last, and certainly not my everything. Your code will be sent to your email shortly. Thanks!

2. dean December 14, 2012 at 8:44 pm Permalink

I’ll take one

• Stan Byme December 14, 2012 at 9:30 pm Permalink

I’ll take two and keep away from children…wait thats the meds

Your code has been sent. Thanks!

3. Emma December 14, 2012 at 9:15 pm Permalink

I would love to have a copy of the book. Security is an essential thing in web development 😉

• Stan Byme December 14, 2012 at 9:33 pm Permalink

Your right, security is essential in web development and when people don’t pick up after their dogs 🙂

Your code for a free copy has been sent. Thanks!

4. Vlad December 14, 2012 at 9:15 pm Permalink

Interesting subject… 🙂

• Stan Byme December 14, 2012 at 9:35 pm Permalink

Interesting use of “…” 🙁

Your code for a free copy of HTML5 Security has been sent. Thanks!

5. Gerald December 14, 2012 at 9:18 pm Permalink

I’d love a copy!

• Stan Byme December 14, 2012 at 9:20 pm Permalink

You got the last one. The code for the free eBook will be sent to you in the next few minutes. Thanks!

6. Kingsley December 15, 2012 at 4:46 am Permalink

Im commenting 1) because I’m interested in the book, and 2) your replies are hilar’

Keep it up!

7. Sky Kok December 20, 2012 at 8:24 pm Permalink

Too bad.

The ebook is only available on Amazon and ITunes. Some countries could not purchase e-goods from Amazon and ITunes.

I hope you can review it in the next post.

• Stan Byme February 14, 2013 at 2:17 pm Permalink

You might want to try Kobo. I found the book here but its not available in Japan so I would imagine you wouldn’t be able to get it via Kobo either?

8. Emma C October 31, 2013 at 12:22 am Permalink

HTML5 is such a good development, every developer needs to acquaint themselves with the technology.