I Hope You Use a Responsive WordPress Theme

Responsive WordPress Blog Theme

There is a major shift in the web taking place towards responsive design. I wouldn’t want you to be late to this swell party so I decided to do a series of posts on responsive web design. This is the first part in the series with the focus being responsive WordPress themes.

Regular visitors to the HTML5 Blog may have already noticed that the blog has been acting responsively for some time. I decided to go with a responsive WordPress theme for several reasons. The first and only reason that matters is because in 2012, responsive design is good design. Having to setup and maintain unique blog designs for users on mobile phones, users on tablets, and users on everything else is ridiculous. It makes me want to pull your hair out. Yes, your hair. Why would I pull out mine? It hurts when I do that.

Using a responsive WordPress theme has many benefits on a variety of levels including search engine optimization. As of this week, responsive web design has been officially recommended by Google for SEO. Google loves responsive design. There was even a recent post on their HTML5 Rocks site on how to create a mobile-first responsive web design.

Many of you probably don’t want to take the time to learn how to create a responsive WordPress theme from scratch. I understand. There are wonderful plug and play options for you. WooThemes has some of the easiest to use responsive WordPress themes out there. I recommend the latest version of their blog theme called Canvas as well as their SMPL theme. I have purchased both of those themes and enjoyed playing around with them. Another option is to find a fast loading, responsive WordPress theme on ThemeForest. I looked around myself and would probably try one of the SuperSkeleton WordPress Themes by Epicera. The fact that his lastest responsive theme loads in under 0.5 seconds has me thinking twice about my blog theme.

7 Responses to “I Hope You Use a Responsive WordPress Theme”

1. Ben June 9, 2012 at 2:29 pm Permalink

I was just on the lookout for some good responsive layouts for WordPress. Do you know if anyone has ventured into a jQuery Mobile based WordPress theme?

• Stan Byme June 13, 2012 at 2:12 pm Permalink

The best I have probably seen that you can get your hands on is called My Mobile Page V2. This is outstanding for mobile devices but I also enjoyed how it looked and functioned in Chrome on my Mac.

There is a free WordPress theme based on the jQuery Mobile framework called jQMobile. The preview is intriguing.

2. Hobit August 1, 2012 at 3:26 pm Permalink

Creating a responsive theme is much more difficult and has a lot of areas for potencial problems if it is not carefully tested.

3. Justin September 12, 2012 at 8:17 pm Permalink

Wow! What a fantastic Responsive WordPress Theme. I have been looking for this type of HTML5 blog theme for a long time.

4. Rolando Reid July 17, 2013 at 3:59 am Permalink

This is our way forward. Rather than tailoring disconnected designs to each of an ever-increasing number of web devices, we can treat them as facets of the same experience. We can design for an optimal viewing experience, but embed standards-based technologies into our designs to make them not only more flexible, but more adaptive to the media that renders them. In short, we need to practice responsive web design. But how?

5. Cleo August 27, 2013 at 10:21 am Permalink

The grid specification is a welcome addition for implementing responsive web designs.

6. Marge Burk October 30, 2015 at 4:55 am Permalink

Wow, awesome blog layout!