HTML5 Wins! Mobile Flash is Extinct.

Flash is Extinct

I have good news and some bad news. The good news is that Flash is dead on mobile devices.

Adobe is stopping development on Flash Player for browsers on mobile.

This is the summary from an e-mail sent to Adobe partners on Tuesday evening that was obtained and first reported on by ZDNet. The other good news to come from this is that Adobe will be putting more money into their HTML5 aspirations. I have really enjoyed working with the free previews of Adobe Edge, their HTML5 animation software. Adobe should be releasing the commercial version of Edge in 2012. I am hoping more resources will be devoted to its development.

Here is the bad news from an Adobe press release.

In order to better align resources around Digital Media and Digital Marketing, Adobe is restructuring its business. This will result in the elimination of approximately 750 full-time positions primarily in North America and Europe.

I hate to see so many people lose their jobs. I have been downsized before and not just after a cold shower. I know what all of the Adobe employees who might be affected by this are feeling today. My hope is that many saw the writing on the wall a long time ago and planned ahead. I would imagine many started working on their HTML5 skills in 2010 after Steve Jobs released his thoughts on Flash where he said that Adobe should drop Flash and focus more on creating great HTML5 tools.

7 Responses to “HTML5 Wins! Mobile Flash is Extinct.”

1. Josh Strike November 17, 2011 at 5:25 am Permalink

“I hate to see so many people lose their jobs. I have been downsized before and not just after a cold shower.”

First of all, you’re a smug ***edited…lets say he said “handsome man”***.

You probably couldn’t write a line of code without hinting.

AS3 is the only language that lets you do stuff to a screen faster than a browser will update. If you want that to go away, you’re probably not smart enough to get what I’m talking about, but I’ll go on.

You think that “HTML5” as you understand it — that is, as a buzzword and a something you heard from other non-technical bros at Q’s — is the replacement for Flash. Do a little research on the history of failed startups and other ***edited…lets say he said poop*** that tanked since like ’98. There’s literally nothing HTML5 can do in the next ten years that Flash isn’t already doing now. Let me know the day you think your javascript implementation is ready for prime time.

We don’t code in AS3 because we can’t code in JS, we do it because JS is a pile of dynamic untyped unclassified ***edited…lets say he said poop again***.

• Stan Byme November 17, 2011 at 8:56 am Permalink

AS3 is fantastic. I have used it to create games. The problem is that Adobe couldn’t make Flash work as well as it needed to on mobile devices. I highly recommend you read what Steve Jobs said on the subject in 2010: http://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughts-on-flash/

I could make the same argument he did here but I think the debate is over. Flash is dead: http://www.html5blog.org/2011/08/04/flash-is-dead/

Can Flash do more in 2011 than HTML5? Yes. Is it true that as you put it that “there’s literally nothing HTML5 can do in the next ten years that Flash isn’t already doing now”? No. Flash had one company behind it. HTML5 has the whole web. Facebook, Google, Apple, and Microsoft are all working on HTML5. The only way HTML5 will fail, is if the web fails.

• JD Gauchat December 2, 2011 at 1:31 am Permalink

Flash is already dead, as Stan said. It’s a matter of paradigm and conceptuality, not about capacity. Flash was built over an old concept that can’t survive in the years to come. If you study HTML5 you will know soon that Flash is ancient history. There is nothing you can do to stop that, so the best thing to do is to focus your efforts on all the technologies involved in the HTML5 specification and adopt Javascript as your programming language as soon as possible. Javascript is, by the way, one of the best programming languages ever created.

2. Roy M J January 4, 2012 at 6:38 pm Permalink

HTML5 is so great.. Now we can do animations ourselves and do not have to depend on actionscript developers for the same. @flash developers: Its time to start learning some html…:)

3. Andy February 17, 2012 at 3:55 am Permalink

I agree HTML5 is new technology and many developers have already started building games like us, but Flash is not going to end so soon because of flash’s monetization system is far better than HTML5.

4. Karina August 7, 2012 at 7:08 pm Permalink

Stan, I absolutely agree with the fact that flash is dead and isn’t longer needed.

The A5 HTML5 Animator, which is made to work on Windows PC, is one of the newest tools with HTML5 and CSS3 that you can use to create animations for your web site.

5. WTTekkie November 6, 2012 at 10:00 am Permalink

Flash is dead. True story.