Flash is Dead

This “Flash is Dead” animation was made with the new HTML5 design software called Adobe Edge. Yes, Adobe is indirectly assisting with the death of one of their products, Flash. It seems like everyday HTML5 gets closer to eliminating the need for Flash.

This HTML5 animation is just a brief glimpse of what the preview version of Adobe Edge can do. I love Adobe Edge! The software only has a limited set of tools and features at this time so I did have to invent some techniques and come up with workarounds throughout the process. If you are creative, you will make it work for you.

Do you want to know how I made it? I will show you in a future tutorial. I will also be detailing numerous workarounds and provide you with tips on how to make your own HTML5 animations in Edge.

12 Responses to “Flash is Dead”

1. bechar August 8, 2011 at 10:08 pm Permalink

🙂

2. Matty B August 9, 2011 at 4:24 am Permalink

Edge is great and all, but it’s light years away from flash. I see edge more as being a simple web-designer alternative. Hooray for mobile/device friendly though!

• Stan Byme August 9, 2011 at 11:11 am Permalink

Yes, Flash is light years ahead of the initial release, Edge Preview 1. The plan Adobe laid out though was to implement interactivity, etc… in the coming months before the first commercial release of Edge.

So is Edge a replacement for Flash today? Nope. Could it replace Flash in a year or two? Potentially. Do I appreciate your comment? Absolutely.

3. encoder August 10, 2011 at 4:03 am Permalink

in the early days of macromedia, the www for that matter, flash’s life began as a necessity. basically set the stage for RIA and dominated the scene for years.

an then adobe bought evrything as is and started to add it’s magic to it. as any blogger you too fail to look uppon flash as a platform.

since it was the choice for animation on the web flash evolved itself into any branch of the IT industry. did you know, the menu of starcraft II is based on flash?

html5 has arround 10 years till it’s ready. and at least annother 5 to be a cost effective choice. i mean, there is no way that html5 can come near flash in the mean time… as a technical masterpiece, that is. because in esence the 2 are completely different. lately adobe is pumping out subversions like crazy. no wonder that most of it blows in the wind and no blogger picks it up.the next corner stone is flash player 11 and AIR3 you might find some previews already if you search for it.

but, generally as a rule for me, when it comes to websites, i use flash only where is needed. great thx to the deadth of IE6 the good ol’ html4 is actually is quite capable to deliver for the current UX requirements. coupled with jQuery.

but keep in mind, html4 is still extremely inconsistent yet alone html5.

as a final note, a consortium “maintained” standard can never cope with a technology that is developed by programers, not corporate politicians

• Stan Byme August 14, 2011 at 10:41 am Permalink

If Flash can be refocused towards a more specific audience like game developers, its usefulness could last. Flash for website design and web animation is nearing an end. This is not sad news for Flash users or Adobe. Flash users will migrate to new Adobe software like Edge.

I also think HTML5 is not 10 years away. Yes, it will be sometime before all systems are ready be we have already seen a lot of support for it. HTML5 is web app ready today! This is proven by the fact that almost everyday another major company (FT, Amazon, Box.net) releases an HTML5 app.

4. Scyfox August 10, 2011 at 3:01 pm Permalink

Hi there.

Today I made my first .edge proyect and I wonder how much time does Flash has since this preview version is really something awsome.

I have to admit that I took your jQuery script to make it loop, since that option isn’t available right now, but I came here to tell you that I added full credits to you for that piece of code.

If it wasn’t for this blog I’d be probably doing something not worthy of atention 😛

Many thanks in advance.

Silla!

5. Will September 10, 2011 at 4:40 am Permalink

HTML5 will probably eliminate the need for a lot of Flash on websites.

I think, though, that Flash represented a revolution on the web and some of the HTML5/CSS3 features were inspired by the will to replicate those features that Flash made popular. And I believe Flash can be used in other applications, like interactive terminals, demos, presentations etc.

And while the market share of browsers that do not support HTML5/CSS3 is still representative (from 25% to 40% today, approximately), I don’t feel inclined to use it. I am crazy to put all this stuff in action, but I feel I have to wait, because websites are not developed for web developers, but for the general audience. In the end, it is the public, with its browser update rate, who defines when we can start doing all the cool stuff.

• Stan Byme November 10, 2011 at 12:47 pm Permalink

Flash was revolutionary but “Ding-Dong! The Witch Is Dead”. Adobe says that HTML5 is now universally supported on major mobile devices, in some cases exclusively. A year ago Apple was the biggest cheerleader of HTML5 and it now appears to be Adobe. I love Adobe and I am looking forward to their future HTML5 design tools.

6. itsfaz February 17, 2012 at 4:52 am Permalink

The problem with flash is that it is an archaic type of code. You can not compare flash to html5 because flash will not run on mobile devices no matter what. This is not an argument for flash or html5. It is an argument for how may times do you want to design code for an app or a web site. If you use html5 it is a done deal one set of code for all devices period.

7. Carri August 7, 2013 at 5:56 am Permalink

Do you care if I put part of this on my site if I post a link to this site?

8. Shavon September 1, 2013 at 7:13 pm Permalink

I love your website and the animation!